Saturday, January 5, 2013

Winter Resolutions



TipToeChick made a fantastic video on youtube about how she deals with new year's resolutions - rather than setting a goal for the year, she sets them for quarters.  This appealed to me greatly, so I thought I'd take a few of her suggestions and give a try.  :)

In order to make the winter resolutions work, it requires  blogging updates on progress, connecting with other people doing the same thing, and joining TipToeChick on Stickam for a little update session. I can commit to all of these things, as long as the stickam thing happens at a time that I can realistically join in.

Without further ado, my winter resolutions!

3 Positive Affirmations: I already have a few affirmations that I do daily, but I'm determined to add 3 more to the list.  These are typically done while meditating, or upon rising/going to bed each day.

  • I am an intelligent person capable of in-depth and interesting conversation. 
  • I am a creative human being full of ideas and artistic achievements.  
  • i am an independent person that only needs to make herself happy.  
Diet:  There's lots of stuff I want to do with my diet; I've really slacked on eating healthy as of late.  The biggest thing - especially budget-wise - is my current intake of caffeine.  I have gone cold turkey before, and it's not fun, so I plan to reduce the amount of soda intake gradually over a 6 week period.  
  • Week 1: Cut down soda intake; no more than 3 cans/glasses per day.  
  • Week 2: Cut down soda intake: no more than 2 cans/glasses per day. 
  • Week 3: Cut down soda intake: no more than 1 can/glass per day.  
  • Week 4: Cut down soda intake: no more than 1 can/glass every other day.  
  • Week 5: Cut down soda intake; no more than 1 can/glass for the entire week.  
  • Week 6: No more soda!  
Exercise:  I recently bought a yoga video for weight loss, as it's my absolute favorite form of exercise, but after watching it through and trying it out, I discovered that I can only do a quarter of the video!  Rather than making me feel accomplished like yoga normally does, it made me feel pretty bad about myself, so I thought I'd start building up leg strength (which is my #1 weakness) by using the treadmill.  Why the treadmill and not just walks around the neighborhood?  Well, it's cold and there's a solid sheet of ice outside the door, on the driveway, and along the roads (there's also no sidewalks), so I figure the safest bet would be the treadmill for now.  Plus - it's freakin' cold!  Anyway, my goal is to reach 20 minutes on the treadmill without getting out of breath.  I plan on building up to the 20 minutes, adding in a week if I need to, etc.  I don't want to become sore, but I do want to do this on a daily basis, which is why I'm starting small.  
  • Week 1 & 2: 10 minutes on the treadmill per day.  
  • Week 3 & 4: 15 minutes on the treadmill per day.  
  • Week 5 & 6: 20 minutes on the treadmill per day.  
Writing:  I love writing, but I want to get into a habit of doing it daily rather than just when the inspiration hits.  
  • Journal daily in my private journal.  
  • Blog daily on this blog.  
  • Record all Aha! moments.  This can be in the blog or in my journal.  
  • Read a spirituality book for 1 hour per day, and write a short summary/opinions on it in my journal.  When the book is complete, do a video on the book.  
  • No more than 1 hour per day for admin duties at the HAUTE Ton.  I tend to get lost for hours doing admin stuff, and I really REALLY want to have more time to RP and have fun.  
  • 1 hour per day of posting at the HAUTE Ton.  This will have me posting even when I don't have inspiration on any one topic.  If there's nothing to reply to, try to come up with an open thread, with no more than 3 open threads open at one time.  
Other Stuff:  Following are some miscellaneous stuff that I want to work on during the winter quarter.  
  • Divination once a week for myself.  I tried doing one for my sister, but she never got back to me.  It's time for me to practice on myself.  I use tarot cards more than anything, but pendulum work can be substituted as well.  
  • Clean something I don't like each day.  Can be localized (1 thing for 1 room per day).  These things must be stuff I usually procrastinate on - scrubbing sinks/tubs, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, etc.  
  • Drink more water.  I tend to guzzle soda, tea, and anything but water,  This really needs to be fixed!  
Alright!  That's my plan for winter quarter.  I hope it's not too big... we'll see how it turns out.  Wish me luck!